Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Canning

I got a bunch of produce for basically free and needed to process it. I had mushrooms, tomatoes, carrots & some apples.
I froze some homemade cream of mushroom soup (left too much headroom, but better than not enough!) I found out in the nick of time that I couldn't put these in the pressure canner since they contained dairy - if I had, I would've had a big mess on my hands!

Cooking down the tomatoes; carrots in the pressure canner.

3 quarts of carrots, 4 pints & 1 smaller jar of mushroom soup (these ones were NOT CREAM of mushroom), 3 pints of applesauce & almost 1 quart - which made it to the fridge, 8 pints of tomato sauce, 9 pints of carrots.

The applesauce and tomato sauce were canned in a hot water bath, the rest were canned in a pressure canner. This was the first time I used my pressure canner. I was slightly intimidated by it, but now I look forward to using it more. I have a bunch of potatoes I plan on canning, one of these days.

By the way, a word to the wise, don't start working on canning at 7:30pm, it takes a lot longer than one may think!

So what did Steven do while I was canning during the day?

Rearrange my cupboards

Play with anything he could reach on the counter

Spread his things around the livingroom randomly... sippy cup, flash cards, books, toys, etc.

Help sort my canning jars & lids while sitting in the box with them

And Hannah? Why, she was happy watching Steven.

No comments: