Friday, September 11, 2009

PeeSpeak and the Latest in Steven's Pottying

Yesterday we received the PeeSpeak Documentary! This is the documentary about infant pottying that I was interviewed in with Steven. It came with a little book. It turned out pretty cute. There's a picture of me pottying Steven in the book and a couple quotes from me. We're in the documentary a number of times. You can visit their website at www.peespeak.com. If you watch the video trailer, you'll see Steven and I at the very end (he was so little then!)

The Latest in Steven's Pottying:
Lately, Steven's not been wanting to wear his diaper. Today, after I put his diaper on him, he was whinning and tugging at it. So I asked him if he'd like to wear 'big boy underwear'. He laughed (he does this when he means 'yes'). I asked him 'yes' or 'no' (I'm working on training him to answer). He nodded 'yes'. He did well, staying dry and going in the potty once.

We were ready to leave the house for some errands and I just didn't feel right about putting his diaper on him. I asked him if he wanted to be in big boy underwear and he nodded. So I added a training pants on top of the underwear (the training pants had a waterproof outside) and we left. A little while down the road Steven started to do the sign (American Sign Language) for potty. I asked him if he needed to go potty and he laughed and nodded and then proceeded to do the sign for potty with both his hands. I told him we'd have to stop at a bathroom and to try and hold it until we got there. He wimpered a little, but I just kept encouraging him to wait until we could take him.

Unfortunately, I didn't have his Bjorn Baby Potty Chair in the car. Lately he hasn't liked going on anything but that, but we were going to try the bathroom anyways. We stopped and I took him in, telling him I was taking him potty. He was very happy... until he saw that it was a bathroom stall with a toilet... he started to cry... he wanted his potty chair. I tried to encourage him and put him on the toilet, but he didn't go, although he was dry. We left.

More errands. Steven fell asleep. Sven took him into Wal-Mart with him. Steven woke towards the end of their time in the store and was wiggling and tugging at his pants. Sven asked if he had to go potty. He nodded yes. Steve went to one bathroom, but it was full. Trying to keep Steven from peeing his pants, he went up to the front of the store and took him in. Steven was still dry, but, again, he didn't like going on the big toilet and didn't go.

When we got home, Steven was wet, although not surprisingly, as he had held it for quite some time. I was very happy, he had told us he needed to go, and if we had his potty chair with, I don't think we would've had an accident.

When it was time for his nap, I put him on the potty, but he didn't want to go and got up. I was pretty sure he needed to go poo. I asked him if he wanted his diaper or his big boy underwear. He opted for the diaper. I was sure he was going to go poo in it. I put his diaper on, laid him down. Awhile later, sure enough, he had gone poo in his diaper. At least he knows what he's doing and he's smart enough to go poo in the diaper and not the underwear if he must go in one.

After his nap, he again wanted big boy underwear. He was doing great. After family worship, I called my mom and was chatting. I said, "Steven's wearing 'big boy underwear' today... Oh... and now he's peeing on the floor." It was pretty funny (although we tried not to laugh). Steven looked surprised at the puddle between his feet. I gently told him that he needs to go potty on the potty, not in his pants and got him cleaned up.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Sounds like things are going well. It makes a lot of sense to teach them young, I just don't have the patience for it I guess. I would rather just change the diapers. lol
Gwen is almost old enough to start "traditional potty training". I have tried putting her on the potty a couple times, and she doesn't like it at all. Maybe I need to pull out the potty chair.